Thursday, December 22, 2011

Don't settle

My last post generated a lot of attention. A couple of friends suggested I post a link on a photography group page on Facebook. Although I did, I hesitated for a couple of days for two reasons. First, I knew no matter how tactfully I tried to put it, no matter how many disclaimers I tacked on it, someone would choose to be offended. Second, I knew that most of the people who looked at it would be photographers, and I try to orient my posts to interested or potential clients.

I was right on both counts. Most of the people who responded to the link on Facebook were positive and supportive. Another way to put it is, those who were positive and supportive, chose to respond publicly on Facebook. Those who were offended apparently didn't want to be identified, and the 2 or 3 who responded, did so with anonymous comments on the blog, and that's okay.


I posted the "Fauxtographer" article because I want my clients to be aware that "there is a difference in a duck." It was not a list of rules. Most of the things on the list, I've done, as have most professionals, at least at one time or another. Most of the techniques I included in the list are things professionals have experimented with, or did at one time, but amateurs and "fauxtographers" identified it as "professional" and made it their specialty, did it poorly, and/or overdid it to the point that it's now passe.

There are a lot of people who call themselves professionals who frankly are not, as evidenced in a video by Kevin Newsome of Tampa, FL where he tells of a client calling and asking, "Are you a real photographer?". Some are "Moms With A Camera" as portrayed by Missy Mwac on YouTube (although it could also be a dad or a high school student - it's usually a mom who started out photographing her own small children and whose husband provides the family income). There are a lot more who are just getting started, who have a lot to learn, but they are committed to doing so. They call themselves professionals, and rightly so. They are talented, but they may not be able to produce the quality of photography you're looking for.

I'm not concerned about any of these as "competition." All of these have always been part of the photography industry. That last group mentioned above (the group of talented individuals who are serious about becoming true professionals) is important to the industry for two reasons.
First, because of their lower prices, they meet a market need for those who cannot afford a professional portrait experience, while offering better images than the department store "studios."
Second, every industry needs new blood. New, innovative creatives keep the whole photography industry on its toes and fresh. And, businesses come and go, people retire, etc., so we need new photographers to keep the craft alive. I was one of those "newbies" once, so as I said before, I don't begrudge anyone the opportunity. And if they are serious about learning the craft, I am more than happy to help them.

My only concern is that with the proliferation of digital technology and the ability to post images online in so many public venues, with so many claiming professional status, the public is not getting a good picture of what constitutes quality, professional portraiture.

It's your image, don't settle:
A local business recently sent out postcards and posted new staff photos on their Facebook page. They were taken by a friend of a staff member who "has a nice camera and wants to start doing photography." The group images are posed like a snap-shot of high school cheerleaders. The outdoor images are either in full sun with harsh shadows, or in the shade of the building with blue skin tones. The business itself has a beautiful building, state of the art equipment and well-trained, experienced professionals. The images don't portray that. They went for a cheap photographer, and got cheap images.  
When you settle for less you generally get even less than the less for which you settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment